My name is E. Colin Ruggero, I live in Philadelphia, and I run this blog.
You can contact me at email@example.com
I am currently a PhD Candidate in Sociology at the New School for Social Research, focusing specifically on Social Movements, Political Consciousness, Punk, and Contemporary (1980 onwards) Radical-Progressive Movements.
I am also currently teaching as an adjunct in Sociology at the Community College of Philadelphia.
Ongoing Dissertation Work
“‘More Authentic Than You:’ The Limiting Logics of Contemporary US radical-DIY Political culture”
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS(click titles for link to document)
- “‘More Authentic Than You:’ Punks, Occupy, and Solidarity Rupture in US Radical Cultures” Politics and Protest Workshop, February 2014
- “Spirit of ’76: Occupy Philadelphia, Voicelessness, and the Challenge of Growing the Occupy Wall Street Movement” Deliberately Considered, November 2011.
- “Building over Planning: Radical Counter-Hegemony and the Dinosaurs of the Old Left” Resistance Studies Magazine, Fall 2010
- “Radical Green Populism: Climate Change, Social Change and the Power of Everyday Practices” Perspectives on Anarchist Theory 2009. Institute for Anarchist Studies.
- “Relocating Energy in the Social Commons” Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, Vol. 29, No. 2, Pp. 81-94 (2009).
- “Radical Green Populism: Environmental Values in DIY/Punk Communities” Master’s Thesis. University of Delaware, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy. 2009.
INVITED AND ACCEPTED CONFERENCE PARTICIPATION
- “More Authentic Than You:’ Punks, Occupy, and Solidarity Rupture in US Radical Cultures” Politics and Protest Workshop, February 2014
- “A City and Its Occupation” Workshop: Understanding the New Wave of Social Cooperation: A Triangulation of the Arab Revolutions, European Mobilizations and the American Occupy Movement. Berkman Center, Harvard Univsersity. March 21st, 2012
- “A City and Its Occupation: Occupy Philly, Punk Participation and the Importance of ‘Context and Content’ in Social Movement Studies” 17th Conference on Alternative Futures and Popular Protest. Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK. April 1-3, 2012.
- “Below the Canopy, Beyond Protest: Cultural Schemas, Radical Praxis, and Punk as Public” New School for Social Research Annual Graduate Student Conference, 2011; New York, NY.
- “Social and Political Activism in Second Life.” 11th annual ‘Consciousness Reframed’ International Research Conference. November 4 – 6, 2010. Trondheim, Norway.
- “Radical Green Populism: Modeling Green Counter-Hegemony” ISA World Congress 2010; Gothenburg, Sweden
- “Relocating Energy in the Social Commons: Ideas for a Sustainable Energy Utility” Forging Closer Ties: Transatlantic Relations, Climate and Energy; Freie Universität Berlin. 2009.
- “Radical Green Populism: Modeling Green Counter-Hegemony” 4th Lüneburg Workshop on Environmental and Sustainability Communication; Leuphana University Lüneburg